Our Mission and Work
Unity Barn Raisers works proactively to enhance small-town character and rural environment, while nurturing a thriving community-based economy. UBR, which is guided by ten “Underlying Principles”, believes that a community working together can shape its own future, and in so doing, significantly advance the quality of life of its people, both now and for generations to come.
UBR nurtures a thriving community-based economy guided by our Ten Underlying Principles.
- Unity Barn Raisers is… an organization of people who respect diverse backgrounds and opinions, but remain steadfast and single-minded in their shared commitments to our community.
- Unity Barn Raisers is… committed to advancing the quality of life of local people, both current residents and future generations.
- Unity Barn Raisers is… committed to preserving traditional buildings and retaining the historic identity of Unity as a market center for surrounding towns.
- Unity Barn Raisers is… committed to community action, to working together to shape our own future, rather than letting the future dictate its own course.
- Unity Barn Raisers is… committed to pursuing innovative projects that simultaneously enhance our physical environment, support our businesses, and boost our sense of community
- Unity Barn Raisers is… committed to our existing businesses and institutions, to helping them realize new opportunities, so that they may play an even stronger role in the long-term prosperity of our community.
- Unity Barn Raisers is… committed to wise stewardship of the land, to passing it on to future generations better than we found it.
- Unity Barn Raisers is… committed to local self-reliance, to a future where more of our community’s needs are provided by local people, businesses, and institutions.
- Unity Barn Raisers is… committed to the careful examination of any project it may undertake or support, and to proceeding with a project only if the benefits clearly outweigh any adverse effects
- Unity Barn Raisers will not… support any project (no matter what the benefit) that threatens our natural environment and small-town character.